من هم تلامس الغزلان؟

من هم تلامس الغزلان؟


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

منذ حوالي 20 عامًا ، قرأت مقالًا في دورية (لا أتذكر أي دورية) عن قبيلة من السكان الأصليين (أعتقد أنهم كانوا من أمريكا الشمالية) الذين لديهم تقليد لمس الغزلان الحية. كانوا يتجردون من مئزر ، ويخنقون أجسادهم برماد من النار لإخفاء رائحتهم ، ويلصقون العشب والأغصان في شعرهم ثم يمشون بهدوء وببطء شديد (حوالي 80 ثانية لكل خطوة) حتى الغزلان. كان الاختبار هو معرفة ما إذا كان بإمكانهم الاقتراب من الغزلان دون أن يلاحظهم أو يسجلوا أنهم كائن حي ، ونتف شعرة من ذيولهم كدليل على إنجازهم. كانت بعض الأساليب المستخدمة هي محاولة التصرف مثل الأدغال ، والتأرجح مع النسيم ، وبعض الرجال حصلوا على شعرهم عن طريق مد أذرعهم مثل الفروع ، وترك أصابعهم تمشط عبر فرو الغزلان أثناء مرورها جهلةً بوجودها ، وسرعان ما نتف ذيلًا. شعر في الثانية الأخيرة.

أحاول إعادة اكتشاف هذه القبيلة من الناس ، لكن لم يحالفني الحظ حتى الآن في البحث عنهم. هل يعرف أحد من هم؟


"الرجل الذي يمس الغزلان" ، بقلم بيل هيفي ، فيلد آند ستريم ، أكتوبر 2000 ، ص. 44.

المقال عبارة عن مقابلة مع مؤلف عالم الطبيعة توم براون جونيور ، الذي يدعي أنه تلقى تعليمه عندما كان طفلاً بواسطة كشافة ليبان أباتشي.


تاريخ الغزلان ذو الذيل الأبيض

يعتقد العلماء أن الغزلان كان يسكن ذات يوم مناطق شديدة البرودة حول الدائرة القطبية الشمالية. لم يكن & # 8217t حتى حوالي 4 ملايين سنة مضت عندما هاجر أول أيل إلى ما نسميه الآن الولايات المتحدة.

كانت الغزلان جزءًا لا يتجزأ من حياة الأمريكيين الأصليين & # 8217s. شكلت اللحوم ونخاع العظام جزءًا كبيرًا من نظامهم الغذائي. استخدم الهنود الجلود في الملابس والبسط والبطانيات وشباك صيد السمك وما شابه. لقد صنعوا رؤوس سهام وهراوات وخطافات وأدوات من العظام.

كان المستوطنون الأوائل في أمريكا يتغذون على حيوانات مختلفة ، مثل الديوك الرومية والطيهوج. ثم اكتشفوا ذيل فرجينيا الأبيض الكبير. قام الأمريكيون الأصليون بتعليم المستعمرين كيفية استخدام الغزلان بكفاءة ، باستخدام كل قطعة من اللحم والجلد والعظام.

بمرور الوقت ، شهدت أعداد الغزلان تقلبات. كان أول انخفاض كبير مرتبطًا بتجارة الفراء. قتل الأمريكيون الأصليون ما يقدر بنحو 5 ملايين غزال سنويًا لتزويد التجارة. في أوائل القرن التاسع عشر ، بسبب انخفاض مبيعات الفراء والتوسع الطبيعي للغزلان في موائل جديدة ، عادت أعدادها إلى الارتفاع مرة أخرى. ومع ذلك ، فإن هذه الزيادة لم تدم طويلا.

أدى تفشي الصيد في السوق في أواخر القرن التاسع عشر إلى خفض عدد سكان الذيل الأبيض إلى أدنى مستوى له على الإطلاق بلغ 500000 ، واختفى فعلاً ودولارات تمامًا في بعض المناطق. في عام 1900 صدر قانون لاسي ، أول قانون اتحادي للحياة البرية. حظرت لاسي الاتجار بين الدول في لحم الغزال والحيوانات البرية الأخرى ، وبدأ استغلال الذيل الأبيض في التباطؤ. في عام 1908 ، أنشأت 41 ولاية أقسامًا للحفظ ، مما زاد من حماية الغزلان.

كان الكساد العظيم قاسياً على الأمريكيين. لكنه كان وقت ازدهار الذيل الأبيض في الشرق والجنوب والغرب الأوسط. مع تدفق الناس من البلاد لكسب لقمة العيش في المدن ، نبتت المزارع والمواقع المنزلية المهجورة الأعشاب والأشجار والشتلات. بدأ علماء الأحياء والرياضيون يدركون أن تغيير الموائل في أمريكا كان جيدًا لأعداد متزايدة من الغزلان. بمجرد اعتبار سكان الغابات الكبيرة المتجاورة ، ستُعرف الذيل الأبيض إلى الأبد باسم & # 8220edge & # 8221 حيوان.

في أواخر الخمسينيات من القرن الماضي ، طور عالم أحياء يُدعى كروكفورد نظام رمي نبال لالتقاط الغزلان. لعبت هذه التكنولوجيا ، إلى جانب الاختراعات المستقبلية مثل شبكة المدفع ، دورًا رئيسيًا في إعادة تخزين الذيل الأبيض بنجاح في جميع أنحاء الولايات المتحدة.

بحلول عام 1970 ، كان عدد سكان الذيل الأبيض ينمو بشكل مطرد عبر الولايات الـ 48 الأدنى. لسنوات ، كان الصيادون يعتقدون أن إطلاق النار على الظبية جريمة. لكن دراسة تاريخية في عام 1974 غيرت ذلك. العالم M.L. وجدت Walls أن الإدارة طويلة المدى لقطعان الغزلان المزدهرة يجب أن تشمل حصاد كل من الدولارات. بدأت الولايات تدريجياً في تنفيذ مواسم الصيد & # 8220doe & # 8221 و & # 8220antlerless & # 8217.

استمرت أعداد الذيل الأبيض في الارتفاع طوال الثمانينيات و 821790. كانت إدارة الغزلان الصلبة أحد الأسباب. ثم كان هناك زحف في الضواحي. في العديد من المناطق ، بنى المزيد والمزيد من الناس منازل عائلة واحدة في مناطق كانت ذات يوم ريفية ، مما أدى إلى إنشاء رقعة شطرنج لـ & # 8220farmettes & # 8221 والعقارات الصغيرة. قام المطورون بنحت التقسيمات الفرعية وملاعب الجولف ومراكز التسوق في المزارع والغابات. ومن المفارقات ، أن هذا خلق موائل مثالية للشرائط والجيب للذيل الأبيض القابل للتكيف ، والذي يتمتع بمهارة خارقة في العيش جنبًا إلى جنب مع الإنسان. يستمر هذا الاتجاه في الألفية الجديدة ، ولا يخلو من سلبيات. أعداد متزايدة من شجيرات الغزلان والأشجار المثمرة والمحاصيل تتسبب في أضرار بمئات الملايين من الدولارات سنويًا في الغرب الأوسط والشمال الشرقي والجنوب الشرقي. تصادمات الغزلان الآلية آخذة في الارتفاع في العديد من الولايات.

اليوم ، الذيل الأبيض Odocoileus virginianus هو أكثر أنواع الغزلان انتشارًا في العالم. يتعرف العلماء على 30 نوعًا فرعيًا من الذيل الأبيض في أمريكا الشمالية والوسطى ، وثمانية أخرى في أمريكا الجنوبية. يقدر عدد سكان أمريكا الشمالية والذيل الأبيض # 8217s بـ 20-25 مليون حيوان. الذيل الأبيض هي اللعبة الأكثر شعبية في الولايات المتحدة إلى حد بعيد ، حيث يطاردها حوالي 11 مليون صياد كل خريف.


تاريخ جون دير - من المحراث المبكر إلى الجرارات الزراعية

يعد جرار John Deere أحد الرموز الأكثر ديمومة في الحياة الزراعية الأمريكية. تأسست شركة John Deere لتصنيع الجرارات في عام 1837 وتتشابك قصة تأسيسها بإحكام مع تطور المحراث الفولاذي. أدت رغبة Deere & # 8217s في تحسين تصميم المحراث غير الكامل إلى تأسيس ما أصبح شركة الجرارات الرائدة في العالم لمدة 177 عامًا ، والمعروفة اليوم باسم شركة Deere.

تعود قصة مؤسس الشركة إلى عام 1804 عندما ولد جون ديري في روتلاند بولاية فيرمونت. بدأ العمل كمتدرب حداد في سن السابعة عشر وأسس شركته الخاصة في الحداد في غضون أربع سنوات. تألف عمل Deere & # 8217s من صنع شوكات القش وحدوات الخيول وغيرها من الأدوات الضرورية للزراعة. جعلت طبيعة تجارته المختارة ، إلى جانب المناخ الاقتصادي المحلي ، من الضروري لديري الانتقال من مدينة إلى أخرى. في سن 33 ، قرر التحرك غربًا ، ليأخذ قسطًا من الراحة في جراند ديتور ، إلينوي.

اشتملت الكثير من أعمال John Deere & # 8217 على إصلاح المحاريث المصنوعة من الحديد الزهر والخشب بشكل متكرر ، مما يثبت له أن تصميمات المحراث هذه لم تكن قوية بما يكفي لقطع أحمق البراري والتربة الثقيلة في إلينوي. قام Deere بإجراء تغييرات في التصميم بنفسه ، وقام ببناء محراث فولاذي مصقول خفيف الوزن من شفرة منشرة فولاذية مكسورة. قطع المحراث الذي ابتكره نبتة الغرب الأوسط القاسية بكفاءة وكان ينظف ذاتيًا ، مما يعني أنه يمكنه تطهير نفسه من اللحم المقطوع ، لذا لن يحتاج إلى التنظيف المستمر أثناء العمل. بحلول عام 1838 قام ببناء وبيع ثلاثة من محاريثه للمزارعين المحليين ، و 10 في العام التالي ، و 40 في العام التالي لذلك. اشتركت Deere مع Leonard Andrus وبحلول عام 1846 تمكنا بشكل جماعي من صنع ما يقرب من 1000 محراث.

بحلول عام 1847 ، كان دير يشعر أن العمل سيكون أفضل في مولين ، إلينوي ، الواقعة على نهر المسيسيبي. سيكون نقل بضاعته عبر النهر أسهل وأقل تكلفة. باع الجزء الخاص به من متجر الحدادة لشريكه وانتقل إلى مولين. بحلول عام 1850 ، كانت Deere تصنع 1600 محراث سنويًا بالإضافة إلى أدوات إضافية لمرافقة المحاريث الفولاذية. كان المحراث الصلب John Deere يعتبر أداة زراعية حديثة في ذلك الوقت. كانت المواد المستخدمة وشكل المحراث ثوريًا ومتطورًا باستمرار حيث كان Deere يستمع إلى تعليقات عملائه ويعدل التصميم وفقًا لذلك.

في عام 1875 ، قدم John Deere أول محراث للركوب. كان محراث Gilpin العابس ذو العجلتين والذي يعمل بقوة حصان. في عام 1888 تم إنتاج محاريث تعمل بالبخار وفي عام 1892 باع مخترع آخر ، جون فروليتش ​​من ولاية أيوا ، أول جرارين يعملان بالبنزين. هذه والعديد من التصميمات المبكرة الأخرى للجرارات التي تعمل بالبنزين كانت بدايتها في ولاية أيوا ، لكن شركة John Deere في إلينوي هي التي انفصلت عن العبوة لتصبح رائدة في مجال المعدات الزراعية.

في عام 1971 ، تم تقديم الشعار & # 8220Nothing Runs Like a Deere & # 8221 للترويج لخط عربات الثلج التي تم إصدارها حديثًا. بحلول عام 1983 ، تم إنهاء خط الثلج ولكن ظل الشعار.

يوجد الآن أحد أقدم المحاريث الفولاذية من طراز Deere & # 8217s في مؤسسة سميثسونيان.


عودة الأيل أبيض الذيل

هناك اعتقاد شائع بأن الحفاظ على الحياة البرية كان اقتراحًا خاسرًا. من المعروف للجميع تدمير قطعان الجاموس ، ومصير الحمام الزاجل. في عصرنا هذا ، نرى طائر الكركي والكوندور الكاليفورني على وشك الانقراض. لكن الحفاظ على الحياة البرية لم يكن بدون نجاحات. ولم يكن هناك شيء أكثر إثارة من استعادة أيل فرجينيا أبيض الذيل إلى الغابات في الشرق والغرب الأوسط.

في الأصل ، احتل حوالي ثلاثين نوعًا (نوعًا فرعيًا) من الغزلان ذات الذيل الأبيض أمريكا الشمالية. كان معظمهم يسكنون أطراف غابة الأخشاب الصلبة الشرقية العظيمة التي امتدت من ساحل المحيط الأطلسي إلى وادي المسيسيبي. يسود غرب غابات البغل والغزلان والأيائل ، على الرغم من أن بعض الذيل الأبيض جاب الأدغال في القاع حول أنهار السهول الكبرى. كان الذيل الأبيض الصغير Sonoran يسكن التلال حول الصحراء الجنوبية الغربية الكبرى ، ووقعت جيوب الوفرة المحلية من الأنواع الفرعية الأخرى في جبال روكي الشمالية وشمال غرب المحيط الهادئ. شمال خط يمتد تقريبًا من مينيابوليس إلى بورتلاند بولاية مين ، قدمت غابات كثيفة من خشب التنوب والتنوب والصنوبر القليل من الطعام للغزلان.

حقق الذيل الأبيض أكبر وفرة في الجزر وحول المستنقعات على سواحل المحيط الأطلسي والخليج وفي الأراضي العشبية والأراضي العشبية التي تفصل بين الأخشاب الصلبة الشرقية والسهول الكبرى. لم تخترق أبدًا الأخشاب البكر في المرتفعات ، حيث ظللت التيجان والأطراف المتشابكة للأشجار العملاقة الأرض ، وفحصت تطور حاجة الغزلان الشجرية للغذاء. ولكن حتى في المرتفعات ، سمحت الفواصل العرضية في مظلة الغابة بنمو أغذية الغزلان ووجود الغزلان. دعمت شواطئ البحيرات وضفاف الأنهار غابة من الشجيرات. تساعد القنادس ، الشائعة في جميع الجداول الشرقية ، الغزلان من خلال أنشطة القطع والفيضان. قطعت الأعاصير والأعاصير مساحات سرعان ما تم تغطيتها بالشتلات والشجيرات والكروم التي تنمو بين العواصف المتشابكة.

عاش معظم الهنود الشرقيين حياة شبه بدوية ، حيث كانوا يتنقلون كل بضع سنوات تحت ضغط هجوم العدو أو بسبب استنفاد حقول المحاصيل. استخدمت جميع قبائل الغابات النيران على نطاق واسع - لإزالة بقع الحدائق والمواقع المنزلية ، أو لتقليل الهجوم المفاجئ ، أو قيادة اللعبة ، أو لتحسين الصيد. طوقت الأراضي المحروقة معظم القرى الهندية لأميال ، وسرعان ما تمت إعادة تغطية أي أرض مهجورة أو غير مزروعة بشكل مكثف بغذاء وغطاء الغزلان المثالي. في الواقع ، ربما ساعد الهندي في خلق عدد من الغزلان أكثر مما قتل.

كانت هذه معظم قصة الغزلان الشرقية قبل القرن السابع عشر. كم كان هناك حينها لا أحد يعرف. لكن نمط الاستكشاف والاستيطان الأبيض ربما أعطى انطباعًا مضللًا عن الوفرة. بدأ الاستعمار في الأراضي المنخفضة الساحلية ، كما في جيمستاون ، أو على الأراضي الهندية المهجورة ، كما في بليموث ، وعادة ما يتبع استكشاف المناطق الداخلية الأنهار ، من خلال بعض أفضل موائل الغزلان في الشرق.

كانت الزراعة الاستعمارية امتدادًا للأساليب الهندية حيث استخدم الرجل الأبيض النار أيضًا لتطهير الأرض. لكن الزراعة الاستعمارية كانت أكثر اتساعًا ، ونادرًا ما سمح الرجل الأبيض للأرض بالعودة إلى الغابات. تم حرق الأراضي التي تم تطهيرها والتي لم تستخدم على الفور لبناء مستوطنات جديدة بشكل متكرر للحفاظ على الأراضي العشبية. تمت تربية أعداد متزايدة من الماشية والأغنام والخيول والماعز والخنازير إلى حد كبير في نطاق مفتوح وتنافس مع الغزلان حيثما تم تطوير مجموعة مناسبة من الغزلان. لم يمض وقت طويل على الثورة بعد أن قُطعت معظم الغابات البكر شرق جبال الأبالاش وأحرقت الأراضي - في كثير من الحالات ، ليس مرة واحدة بل عشرات المرات.

ومع ذلك ، على الرغم من هذا التدمير لموائلها ، استمرت الغزلان. كانت هناك أراضي بين المدن المتباعدة على نطاق واسع حيث أدى الحرق الخفيف وقطع الأشجار إلى تحسين مداها. كانت هناك مستنقع - مثل مستنقع فيرجينيا الكئيب - الذي يتحدى الدمار بالنار والصرف. كانت هناك وديان صخرية وجبال وعرة للغاية للزراعة أو الرعي. كل هذه الأيائل تؤوي. لكنهم قدموا أيضًا ملاجئ للكوغار والذئب الخشبي ، وهما أعداء طبيعيون تقليديون للذيل الأبيض. وسرعان ما أصبحوا ملاذًا لذلك المفترس الأكثر فتكًا - صائد اللحوم والأسواق.

أصبح Venison و buckskin من العناصر الأساسية للاقتصاد الاستعماري مع عمليات الإنزال الأولى في St. Augustine و Jamestown و Plymouth. بمجرد أن علم الهندي أن لحم الغزال كان يستحق ساحة من كاليكو أو فأسًا تجاريًا ، قام بحبس الغزلان وصيده وإطلاق النار عليه أينما واجههم. بحلول عام 1630 ، تمكنت العديد من القبائل الساحلية من الوصول إلى الأسلحة النارية الأوروبية ، وكان بإمكان صياد هندي يحمل مسدسًا قتل خمسة أو ستة غزال في اليوم.

انخفض الغزلان بسرعة على طول ساحل المحيط الأطلسي طوال القرن السابع عشر. في 4 فبراير 1646 ، أمرت مدينة بورتسموث ، رود آيلاند ، بموسم مغلق لصيد الغزلان "من الأول من مايو حتى الأول من نوفمبر ، وإذا كان هناك من يطلق النار على الغزلان خلال ذلك الوقت فسيخسر خمسة أرطال ..." وضع المرسوم نمطًا للقوانين التي اعتمدتها معظم المستعمرات بحلول عام 1720.

عكست ديباجة قانون ولاية كونيتيكت القلق الرسمي بشأن مستقبل الغزلان: تم العثور على قتل الغزلان في أوقات غير مناسبة من العام إلى حد كبير على استعداد المستعمرة ، حيث تم اصطياد أعداد كبيرة منهم وتدميرهم في الثلوج العميقة عندما يكونون فقراء جدا وكبارين مع صغارهم ، فإن لحمهم وجلودهم ذات قيمة قليلة جدا ، والزيادة تعيق بشكل كبير.

وفي عام 1705 ، أشارت الجمعية العامة في نيوبورت ، رود آيلاند ، إلى أنه قد تم إبلاغها بأن كميات كبيرة من الغزلان قد دمرت في هذا الطيار خارج الموسم ... وقد تثبت الكثير من الأضرار التي لحقت بهذه الطائفة في المستقبل ، و ... البلد كله ، إذا لم يتم منعه.

كانت هناك قناعات متفرقة ، ولكن لم يتم تطبيق أي من هذه القوانين الاستعمارية بشكل فعال ، وبحلول منتصف القرن الثامن عشر ، كان هناك القليل من الغزلان المتبقية للحماية بالقرب من المجتمعات الأكبر. لا يزال المزارعون الحدوديون يعيشون على الأرض ويأخذون لحم الغزال عندما يريدون ذلك. على طول حواف البرية المتراجعة ، ما زال صيادو الأسواق الهندية والأبيض يمشطون الغابة بحثًا عن لعبة في جميع الفصول ، بعيدًا عن متناول أقرب "غزلان" ، تم تعيين الضابط لتعقب الصيادين.

بعد الثورة ، على طول وديان أوهايو ، واباش ، وكمبرلاند ، وميسيسيبي ، وعلى الشواطئ الجنوبية للبحيرات العظمى ، استمر تدمير البرية على نطاق أوسع. وبحلول هذا الوقت ، كان صيادو السوق ، الذين ما زالوا يعملون في عربة الحضارة ، قد وصلوا إلى أطراف البراري ، وهو الجزء الأكثر إنتاجية من نطاق الذيل الأبيض الأصلي. أبقتهم شبكة قنوات وطرق وسكك منتشرة بالقرب من أسواق الشرق. في يوم واحد من عام 1818 ، قتلت مجموعة من الصيادين في بلدة مدينا بولاية أوهايو ثلاثمائة غزال ، وواحد وعشرين دبًا أسودًا ، وسبعة عشر ذئبًا. (في المتوسط ​​، كان هذا يعني حوالي اثني عشر غزالًا لكل ميل مربع.) في شتاء عام 1859 ، قتل صائدو اللحوم آخر غزال من ولاية أيوا الأصلية عن طريق فقسهم في ثلوج عميقة. حدثت مجازر مماثلة بانتظام في جميع أنحاء الغرب الأوسط طالما يمكن العثور على الغزلان بأعداد كبيرة بما يكفي لتبرير هذا الجهد.

مع افتتاح الغرب ، تحول مركز نشاط صيد السوق إلى السهول الكبرى وجبال روكي. هناك كان يتحمل معظم العبء من قبل البيسون ، والقرن ، والأيائل ، والغزلان ، والأغنام الكبيرة. لكن التفاصيل البيضاء في النطاق الضعيف على طول الأراضي السفلية في البراري انتهت في أوعية قطارات العربات ودوريات الفرسان وأطقم الزوارق النهرية.

في نيو إنجلاند والولايات المتاخمة للبحيرات العظمى ، قضى تطهير الأراضي وصيد اللحوم على معظم الغزلان ضمن نطاقها الأصلي. لكن قطع الأشجار من الصنوبريات الشمالية أوجد نطاقًا جديدًا وأفضل في الشمال. بحلول عام 1870 ، أصبح الغزلان شائعًا في المقاطعات الشمالية من مينيسوتا وميتشيغان وويسكونسن ونيو هامبشاير وماين ، حيث كان هناك القليل منها أو لا شيء قبل ذلك بخمسين عامًا. لكن قطع الصنوبريات بالنسبة للغزلان كان نعمة ونقمة. استخدم كل من معسكرات قطع الأخشاب صيادين لتوفير اللحوم الطازجة للحطابين. وتوافد صيادو السوق ، الذين قضوا الآن على الغزلان في أقصى الجنوب ، إلى النطاق المطوَّر حديثًا.

باستخدام الكلاب والبنادق والفخاخ الفولاذية والفخاخ السلكية ، يمكن للصياد الماهر أن يبلغ متوسط ​​عدد الغزلان عشرة غزال في اليوم. في ديسمبر 1872 ، شحنت ليتشفيلد ، مينيسوتا ، ستة أطنان من لحم الغزال الملبس إلى الأسواق في بوسطن. في عام 1880 ، تعاملت مكاتب الشحن في ميشيغان وحدها مع أكثر من مائة ألف غزال متجهة إلى شيكاغو والشرق.

كانت هذه المذبحة المباشرة سيئة بما فيه الكفاية ، لكن الحرائق التي أعقبت قطع الأشجار في غابات الصنوبر الشمالية حول منطقة البحيرات العظمى كانت أسوأ. في أعقاب قطع الأخشاب ، غطت الشق المائل الجاف المملوء - رؤوس الأشجار والأطراف المهملة - مئات الآلاف من الأفدنة ، في انتظار شرارة فقط لإشعالها. واحدة من أولى الشرارات التي ضربت الريح العكسية في بيشتيجو ، ويسكونسن ، في 8 أكتوبر 1871. قبل أن تحترق النيران نفسها ، دمرت أكثر من 1.280.000 فدان وأهلكت أرواح حوالي 1200 شخص (انظر: "النار تجعل الريح: الرياح تجعل النار "، في التراث الأمريكي ، أغسطس ، 1956). اجتاحت الحرائق البلاد الشمالية مرارًا وتكرارًا حتى نهاية القرن ، مما أسفر عن مقتل كل كائن حي تقريبًا في طريقهم ، بما في ذلك الغزلان ، وتحويل ملايين الأفدنة إلى أراضي قاحلة لا يمكن لأي غزال أن يعيش فيها.

بحلول عام 1880 ، بدأ العلماء وعدد قليل من دعاة الحفاظ على البيئة في التعبير عن قلقهم بشأن مستقبل الغزلان ذات الذيل الأبيض كنوع. بعد عشر سنوات ، وصل عدد الغزلان في أمريكا الشمالية إلى الحضيض. كانت جبال الأبلاش ومعظم البلاد الواقعة غرب جبال روكي عمليا بدون الغزلان. رود آيلاند ، كونيتيكت ، ماريلاند ، وست فرجينيا ، نيو جيرسي ، أوهايو ، كنتاكي ، تينيسي ، إنديانا ، إلينوي ، آيوا ، كانساس ، ميسوري ، ونبراسكا ، أحصت جميعها قطعانها ذات الذيل الأبيض بالقرب من الصفر. تم إطلاق النار على "آخر أيل" في ولاية إنديانا بالقرب من ريد كلاود في عام 1893. ولم يكن لدى جنوب مين وجنوب نيو هامبشاير أي شيء.

فقط الأجزاء البرية من Adirondacks وجبال أركنساس والمستنقعات النائية على الشاطئ الجنوبي وساحل الخليج هي التي أعطت ملاذًا للغزلان. قدّر T. S. Palmer من المسح البيولوجي للولايات المتحدة (سابق من خدمة الأسماك والحياة البرية في الولايات المتحدة) عدد الغزلان البرية ذات الذيل الأبيض في الولايات المتحدة وكندا في عام 1890 بحوالي ثلاثمائة ألف. بذلت وكالته جهدًا كبيرًا في تشجيع الناس على تربية الغزلان في الأسر ، حيث بدا أن مستقبل الذيل الأبيض يكمن في أولئك الذين يتم الاحتفاظ بهم في حدائق الغزلان المسيجة.

ولكن حتى مع استمرار التراجع ، بدأت بذور الاستعادة تنبت. في شمال نيو إنجلاند والمقاطعات البحرية ، كان قطع الأشجار يحول الغابات الصنوبرية الأصلية إلى غابات شابة مختلطة من الخشب الصلب النفضي مناسبة بشكل مثالي للغزلان. التربة الصخرية والمناخ القاسي لم يشجع على أي غزو واسع النطاق للزراعة. بحلول عام 1890 ، انتشرت الغزلان في جميع أنحاء شمال مين ونيو هامبشاير وعمقًا في نيو برونزويك وكيبيك ، أقصى الشمال من نطاقها الأصلي. في هذه المنطقة ، يتأرجح الذئب ، وهو المفترس الوحيد للغزلان الشمالي ، على شفا الانقراض.

شرق جبال الأبلاش ، أحدث العصر الصناعي تغييرًا جذريًا في أنماط استخدام الأراضي. الآلاف من المزارعين المهمشين ، غير القادرين على التنافس مع الزراعة المزدهرة في الغرب ، قد هجروا مزارعهم البالية ، أو شغلوا وظائف في المصانع في المدينة ، أو ذهبوا إلى الغرب. في منطقة بيدمونت في الجنوب ، أجبرت سوسة اللوز ونهاية العبودية والمنافسة مع الأسواق الخارجية على التخلي عن آلاف حقول القطن. سرعان ما تم غزو الأرض المهجورة بواسطة أشجار الصنوبر سريعة النمو وسريعة النمو. بحلول عام 1885 ، كانت هناك ملايين الأفدنة من غابات الصنوبر "القديمة" الناضجة في شرق الولايات المتحدة. الصنوبر وحده غذاء فقير للغزلان ، وكانت هذه الغابات الجديدة تدعم القليل من الغزلان ، لكن نضج أشجار الصنوبر جلب طفرة جديدة لقطع الأشجار إلى الشرق والتي كانت على قدم وساق بحلول عام 1890. ومع قطع أشجار الصنوبر ، تم استبدالها بالأشجار. ، مختلطة من الخشب الصلب والصنوبريات التي تجعل مجموعة مثالية الغزلان.

بالتزامن مع عودة موطن الغزلان هذا إلى حد كبير ، كان تطوير حركة الحفظ الحديثة. لأول مرة بدأ أكثر من قلة من الناس في التعرف على قيم في الحياة البرية غير تلك التي يمكن قياسها في اللحوم والجلود والريش. نشأ هذا المفهوم إلى حد كبير ، بشكل غير لائق إلى حد ما ، مع صيادي الرياضة في المدن الشرقية. حتى عام 1830 كان السعي وراء ممارسة الرياضة في الأساس هواية للأثرياء. لكن حقبة ما بعد الحرب الأهلية أنتجت طبقة وسطى جديدة لديها المال ، والترفيه ، وفي كثير من الأحيان ، الرغبة في الهروب مؤقتًا من الحياة الحضرية. ازدهرت المعسكرات السياحية والفنادق الفخمة على شواطئ البحيرات والأنهار البرية. عرضت معظم هذه المنتجعات ، من بين وسائل تحويل أخرى في الهواء الطلق ، صيد الغزلان الممتاز.

مع انتشار الاهتمام بالصيد الترفيهي ، سعى رواد الحفاظ على البيئة إلى طرق لزيادة العرض المحدود من الغزلان. تغيرت قوانين اللعبة قليلاً منذ الحقبة الاستعمارية. في عام 1870 ، استمرت مواسم صيد الغزلان من ثلاثة إلى سبعة أشهر ، ولم تكن حدود الأكياس موجودة ، وكان استخدام الكلاب والمشاعل للصيد الليلي ولعق الملح من الممارسات الرياضية المقبولة.

تدريجيًا ، قامت دولة تلو الأخرى بتشديد قوانين اللعبة. في عام 1873 ، تبنت مين أول حد لعدد الأكياس المخصصة للغزلان - ثلاثة لكل صياد واحد في أي موسم واحد. فرضت ميشيغان ومينيسوتا حدودًا لخمسة غزلان في عام 1895 ، وويسكونسن حدًا لعدد الغزلان في عام 1897. كانت الأسابيع وحتى الأشهر مواسم الصيد المفتوحة من الزيت ، وحظرت معظم الولايات صيد الغزلان تمامًا في المقاطعات التي كانت فيها الغزلان نادرة في 18g8 أغلقت ماساتشوستس الدولة كلها لصيد الغزلان لمدة خمس سنوات. بحلول نهاية القرن ، حظرت كل ولاية شمال فرجينيا وأركنساس إطلاق النار الليلي واستخدام الكلاب لصيد الغزلان. علاوة على ذلك ، بحلول هذا الوقت ، كان لدى كل ولاية تقريبًا وكالة رسمية مكلفة بحماية Wildlile.

كان العديد من هذه الإصلاحات موجهًا بشكل مباشر إلى صائدي السوق ، الذين كانت أهميتهم بالنسبة للاقتصاد في انخفاض حاد. بدأ معظمها وحاربها من خلال الرياضيين الذين نظموا جمعيات حماية الأسماك والألعاب القوية سياسياً. تم إجبار صائد السوق أخيرًا على التوقف عن العمل بموجب قانون اتحادي (قانون لاسي لعام 1900) الذي حظر الشحن بين الولايات للعبة التي قُتلت في انتهاك لقوانين الولاية.

بحلول مطلع القرن ، كان كل من الغزلان وموائلها يتلقون حماية حقيقية لأول مرة. لقد كاد أعداؤهم الطبيعيون القدامى أن يختفوا. كان الناس يكافحون حرائق الغابات بدلاً من إشعالها ومشاهدتها تحترق. كانت وكالات الغابات والفيدرالية تعيد زراعة الحروق القديمة. كان الغطاء يعود إلى الأرض.

كانت استجابة الغزلان لهذه الظروف شبه المثالية ، خاصة في الشمال الشرقي ، متفجرة. من جزر الغطاء التي عاشوا فيها بشكل غير مستقر لما يقرب من قرن من الزمان ، دفعت الغزلان في جميع الاتجاهات. انتشرت تلك الموجودة في شمال نيو إنجلاند جنوبًا في المقاطعات الزراعية. انتشرت الغزلان في جنوب شرق ولاية ماساتشوستس في المقاطعات الوسطى وجنوبا إلى رود آيلاند وكونيتيكت. سكن أديرونداك الغزلان في كاتسكيلز ، وغرب فيرمونت ، وبركشاير في ماساتشوستس. بحلول عام 1908 ، خمن إرنست طومسون سيلون ، عالم الطبيعة الأكثر شهرة في ذلك الوقت ، أن عدد الغزلان في المسيسيبي يبلغ حوالي خمسمائة ألف.

هذا الانتشار الطبيعي والزيادة ساعدتهما المنظمات الرياضية ووكالات الألعاب الحكومية المنظمة حديثًا. في عام 1878 ، اشترى نادي رياضي في مقاطعة روتلاند ، فيرمونت ، سبعة عشر غزالًا أسيرًا (عشرة منهم من حراس سجن ولاية نيويورك في دانيمورا) وأطلق سراحهم في الغابات المغلقة للصيد من قبل الولاية. بحلول عام 1895 ، زادت هذه النواة إلى عدة مئات.

ألهم نجاح تجربة فيرمونت العديد من الولايات الشرقية لتبني نهج مماثل. في ولاية بنسلفانيا ، نجح هذا الأمر بشكل يفوق الخيال تقريبًا. بعد وقت قصير من عام 1899 ، بدأت لجنة بنسلفانيا للألعاب في شراء الغزلان وإطلاقها في غابات الولاية. في عام 1905 ، تم تزويد الوحدات الأولى من نظام ملجأ واسع النطاق للحيوانات المحاصرة في غابات الولاية. بعد ذلك بعامين ، كان هناك ما يكفي من الذيل الأبيض لتبرير الصيد المحدود. في عام 1907 ، جمع الصيادون مائتي دولار في ولاية لم يكن فيها أي غزال بري على الإطلاق قبل أقل من عشرين عامًا.

بحلول منتصف عام 1920 ، بدا أن الغزلان في كل مكان في ولاية بنسلفانيا. يمكن عد قطعان الأربعين أو أكثر على طول أي طريق ريفي تقريبًا في المساء. يمكن طرد العشرات من أي قطعة خشب. كانوا يغزون الساحات وحقول الذرة والبساتين. غالبًا ما كان عربات الأطفال في ضواحي هاريسبرج وفيلادلفيا مندهشًا من شخير حيوان خائف أو مبتهج بمشهد علم أبيض للظبية.

انفجرت فقاعة الغزلان العظيمة في بنسلفانيا بعد عام 1925 بفترة وجيزة. بدأ علماء الأحياء في اللعبة يلاحظون أن الحيوانات التي أخذها الصيادون قد أصيبت بالتقزم. كان تطوير قرن الوعل ضعيفًا جدًا لدرجة أن الرياضيين اشتكوا من رؤية ما يصل إلى مائة غزال في اليوم ولكن ليس واحدًا لديه قرن متشعب من شأنه أن يجعله لعبة قانونية. ثم ، في شتاء عام 1926 ، بدأ الغزلان يموت. ماتوا منفردين ، بالعشرات ، وأحيانًا بالمئات ، في ساحات شتوية مغطاة بالثلوج ومكتظة بالثلوج. فيرنون بيلي ، عالم الثدييات الفيدرالية الرائد ، سجل في غضون أسابيع قليلة أكثر من ألف غزال ميت في أربع بلدات في مقاطعة واحدة.

أكد حكم بيلي أن لجنة بنسلفانيا للألعاب قد توصلت إليها بالفعل - كان لابد من إجراء تخفيض كبير في أعداد الغزلان إذا أرادت الولاية إنقاذ غاباتها وأي غزال على الإطلاق. تم تجريد نطاقات الشتاء من جميع النباتات التي يصل ارتفاعها إلى رأس الرجل بواسطة الآلاف من الغزلان الجائعة.

حتى ذلك الحين ، كانت ولاية بنسلفانيا ، مثل معظم الولايات التي سمحت في ذلك الحين بصيد الغزلان ، تسمح لكل صياد بعمود واحد فقط مع قرن قرن متشعب واحد على الأقل كل عام. لكن عادة ما يتزاوج باك مع العديد من الأوزان ، ومعظم أبواق السنبلة وغيرها من الدولارات شبه القانونية قادرة على التكاثر. وبسبب هذا ، تضاعف عدد الغزلان كل سنتين أو ثلاث سنوات على الرغم من تزايد قتل الظبي السنوي. وفي كل ربيع ، كانت تنتج مئات الآلاف من الأيائل التي لن يكون لها طعام شتوي. في عام 1930 ، أعلنت لجنة الألعاب في بنسلفانيا ، في مواجهة معارضة عامة مريرة ، موسمًا مفتوحًا على الغزلان التي لا ترحم. بين عامي 1931 و 1941 قتل الصيادون أكثر من 725000 غزال في بنس وودز. أدى هذا العلاج القاسي ولكن الضروري إلى قطع القطيع من ما يقرب من مليون إلى أقل من نصف مليون. في السنوات التي تلت ذلك ، استقرت مواسم الغزلان الخاصة المنظمة ، والتي أصبحت مقبولة بشكل عام الآن كممارسة إدارية معيارية ، في عدد الغزلان عند حوالي أربعمائة ألف.

في الجنوب وفي الغرب الأوسط جنوب منطقة البحيرات العظمى ، جاءت استعادة الغزلان في وقت لاحق. لكن جميع الولايات في هذه المناطق استفادت من التقنيات التي تم تطويرها والأخطاء التي ارتكبتها بنسلفانيا ونيويورك ونيو إنجلاند. في الآونة الأخيرة ، في عام 1930 ، كانت معظم الولايات الواقعة بين جبال روكي والأبالاتشي لا تزال تمتلك القليل نسبيًا من الغزلان ذات الذيل الأبيض أو لا يوجد بها أي غزال على الإطلاق. جنوب جبال بوتوماك في جبال الأبلاش ، كان قطيع الغزلان الوحيد المزدهر موجودًا في غابة بيسجاه الوطنية في نورث كارولينا. في أماكن أخرى من منطقة أبالاتشي ، اعتبر متسلقو الجبال - سواء أكان قانونًا أم لا قانونًا أن أي حياة برية صالحة للأكل لعبة عادلة في أي وقت.

خلال فترة الكساد ، غادر العديد من هذه العائلات التلال. مزارعهم ، وفي بعض الأحيان قرى بأكملها ، تم استيعابها في الغابات والمتنزهات الحكومية والوطنية. منطقة شاسعة أخرى من الموطن الرئيسي للغزلان - التي لا تزال تقريبًا خالية من الغزلان - تطورت بسرعة. ومرة أخرى تزامنت عودة الغطاء بالصدفة مع تقدم كبير آخر في حركة الحفاظ على الحياة البرية.

حتى عام 1937 ، كانت جميع وكالات الحياة البرية في الولاية تقريبًا تتلقى القليل من الدخل أو لا تحصل على أي دخل باستثناء بيع تراخيص الصيد وصيد الأسماك. وغالبًا ما حولت الهيئات التشريعية للولايات أجزاء كبيرة من هذه الأموال لبناء الطرق السريعة ومشاريع أخرى لا علاقة لها بالحفاظ على الحياة البرية.

ثم في عام 1937 أقر الكونجرس قانون بيتمان - روبرتسون الفيدرالي للمساعدة في استعادة الحياة البرية. خصص القانون ضريبة الإنتاج الحالية البالغة 11 في المائة على الأسلحة والذخيرة الرياضية لاستخدامها من قبل الولايات في تمويل مشاريع ترميم الحياة البرية المعتمدة. كما نصت على أنه لكي تكون مؤهلة للحصول على أموال فيدرالية ، يتعين على الولاية تطبيق جميع عائدات تراخيص الصيد لإدارة وكالتها للحياة البرية. امتثلت كل دولة بسرعة.

في الشرق كان الأيل أبيض الذيل من أوائل المستفيدين الرئيسيين. في غضون فترة زمنية قصيرة بشكل ملحوظ ، أثمرت جهود الاستعادة في حالة واحدة تلو الأخرى. تتكاثر القطعان المقيمة الصغيرة التي نجت من الأيام المظلمة لـ iSoo وانتشرت. تكاثرت عمليات زرع عدد قليل من الحيوانات إلى الآلاف في غضون سنوات قليلة. ومع إعادة ملء غاباتها بالغزلان ، أعادت ولاية تلو الأخرى فتح موسم الصيد الذي أغلق منذ فترة طويلة. في عام 1965 ، عندما شعرت كانساس أن لديها ما يكفي من الذيل الأبيض لضمان موسم مفتوح ، أصبحت كل ولاية شرق جبال روكي مرة أخرى ولاية "لعبة كبيرة".

على الرغم من أن الصيد مقيت للكثيرين ، إلا أنه في غياب الضوابط الطبيعية الأصلية على نمو أعداد الغزلان ، ضروري لرفاهية الغزلان والغابات التي يعتمدون عليها. في خريف وأوائل شتاء عام 1968 ، أحضر الصيادون في الولايات المتحدة ما يقرب من مليون ونصف من الغزلان ذات الذيل الأبيض إلى الوطن مرة أخرى ، وهو ما يعادل نصف ما كان موجودًا في جميع أنحاء أمريكا الشمالية قبل خمسين عامًا فقط! لكن هذا كان أقل من خُمس السكان ذوي الذيل الأبيض في الصيف.

نظرًا لأن كل النطاق المناسب تقريبًا في أمريكا مجهز بالكامل ، فمن المحتمل أن يكون هذا هو كل الغزلان ذات الذيل الأبيض الذي يمكن أن تدعمه الغابات الأمريكية. لكن هذا يكفي. تم استبدال جهود الحفاظ على الصدم والخطأ في الماضي بالبحث العلمي وإنفاذ القانون وإدارة الموائل. في معظم الولايات ، تحافظ لوائح الصيد المرنة على توازن أعداد الغزلان مع إمداداتها الغذائية ولا تزال تضمن البقاء كل عام لمخزون تكاثر أكثر من كافٍ. بالنسبة للمستقبل ، فإن الطلب المستمر للاقتصاد الأمريكي على المنتجات الخشبية ومستجمعات المياه المحمية يجب أن يضمن الحفاظ على الكتل الكبيرة من الغابات الشابة التي يجب أن تزدهر الغزلان. يجب أن يكون الأيل ذو الذيل الأبيض موجودًا بالأرقام لسنوات عديدة.


جزيرة الغزلان: تاريخ من المأساة الإنسانية في الذاكرة

In October, 1675 (Just five months after the start of the King Philip’s War, 1675-1676) some 500 Nipmucks from what is now South Natick were forcibly removed to Deer Island, a barren strip of land off Boston Harbor, as a concentration camp for Indians (later it would become a holding area for Irish immigrants fleeing the Great Famine (1800s), a major hospital (1847), a prison (c. 1882-1988), and now a wastewater treatment facility and national park), was established by the Massachusetts Council that same year. King Philip’s War, or Metacomet’s Revenge, as it came to be known, was the first large-scale military aggression in the American colonies and the bloodiest conflict between settlers and Indians in 17th century Puritan New England. Without adequate food, clothing, shelter or medicine, the pro-English Algonquian coverts, who had been converted to Christianity by the zealous Congregationalist minister from Roxbury named John Elliot, half of the Indians confined on the Island died of starvation or exposure during their imprisonment when John Eliot visited them in December, he could only report with horror, “The Island was bleak and cold, their wigwams poor and mean, their clothes few and thin.” These were the same Indians who once welcomed the English in 1621 with their Sachem, Massasoit.

In the years prior to King Philip’s War, Eliot worked with his devoted teacher (and servant of 35 years) Job Nesutan to learn the language. Later, Eliot worked with Nesutan and other Indians in translating the Holy Bible into the local Natick dialect of Massachusett or Massachusêuck (first published in 1663 at Harvard University) had taught hundreds of Indians to read and write and had established fourteen “praying towns,” Indian settlements built as Christian communities.

The first and largest was Natick, Massachusetts. Eliot took seriously his goal of conversion. He was convinced that only by being able to communicate with Native people in their own language could he achieve the goal of spreading Christianity prompting greater migrations of English to come to New England’s rocky shores as Indians were becoming more 𠇌ivilized” as a result.

However, from the very start of the war, the new English colonists became fearful of Eliot’s converts joining Philip’s reign of terror. Convinced of these fears, the Massachusetts Council ordered all Christian Indians to be barged down the Charles River in shackles and incarcerated on the island for the duration of the war. It was also known that slavers came to steal Indians off Deer Island to engage in the lucrative trade of human trafficking in Barbados or Jamaica.

But after enduring decades of fraudulent land deals, Massasoit’s son, Philip, determined to wage war to oust the colonists from New England and push them back over the sea from whence they came. He nearly succeeded. Beginning in June of 1675, not only Wampanoags, but Narragansetts, Nipmucks, and Pocumtucks rallied behind Philip to destroy the English.

To Puritan minister Increase Mather it seemed that the Indians had “risen almost round the country,” torching one town after the other. Before the final shots were fired over half of all the English settlements in New England𠅎verything west of Concord—had been laid waste. As Boston merchant Nathaniel Saltonstall explained in a letter to a friend in London, “Nothing could be expected but an utter desolation.” Philip’s Indians attacked and destroyed 25 frontier settlements: Andover, Bridgewater, Chelmsford, Cumberland, Groton, Lancaster, Longmeadow, Marlborough, Medfield, Medford, Millis, Plymouth, Portland, Providence, Rehoboth, Scituate, Seekonk, Simsbury, Springfield, Sudbury, Suffield, Warwick, Weymouth, and Wrentham, including what is modern-day Plainville.

The war ended with Metocomet’s death, August 12, 1676 with 600 colonists and 3,000 Native Americans dead, including several hundred native captives who were tried and executed others were enslaved and sold in Bermuda and elsewhere. The Deer Island prisoners were released, and over half of the Indians confined to the Island had died, others too sick to enjoy their liberty for long.

Almost 400 years have passed as we remember this tragic point in our collective history. The Deer Island Memorial Committee, headed by Executive Director Jim Peters, Massachusetts Commission on Indian Affairs, along with other committee members, had issued an RFP to create a memorial commemorating the Nipmuc Indians who died there. Lloyd Gray (Mohawk) has been contracted to create the memorial. It is anticipated that there will be a ceremony as part of the unveiling during the last weekend in October, 2013. It will be a time for reflection, commemoration and healing. In the language of Eliot’s Praying Indians, 𠇊yeuhteá࿊sh,” we stand firm (strong) and will continue to do so.


White-tailed Deer Timeline

1900 – Market/subsistence hunting and unregulated harvest eliminate nearly all deer from the state.

1917 –Total statewide deer population estimated at 500 animals. Legislature bans deer harvest.

1917 to 1922 – From western Oklahoma moving east, counties previously open to deer hunting are systematically closed to deer hunting.

1922 – All deer hunting in Oklahoma is prohibited.

1933 – First regulated deer season (five days) is held. Hunt is restricted to six southeast counties and Major County in western Oklahoma, resulting in the harvest of 235 bucks. Also, this year marks the beginning of safety regulations for wearing a red upper outer garment (later to become “hunter” orange).

1934 – No deer season authorized.

193537 Area is expanded to seven southeast counties only. Harvest total is 331 in 1935 375 in 1936 and 347 in 1937.

1938 – No deer season authorized.

1939-40 – Harvest totals: 384 in 1939 and 318 in 1940.

1941-43 – All deer hunting is closed. Many OGF personnel are called to active military service.

1943 – Deer restoration program started with the trap and transplant of 22 deer.

1944 – 379 deer harvested.

1945 – A total of 469 deer are harvested. Restoration efforts continue, with most deer trapped from either the Wichita Mountains NWR or Ft. Sill, but includes 50 captured from Aransas Pass NWR on the Texas Gulf Coast.

1946 – Participation in the deer gun season jumps to more than 7,000 (certainly due to returning World War II Vets looking for recreation). The first archery season (one day) is held. No deer harvested. A total of 35 deer are transplanted from the Wichita Mountains NWR to the U.S. Naval Ammunition Depot near McAlester (in less than a decade the military installation, now known as the McAlester Army Ammunition Plant, would serve as a source herd for trapping activities).

1946 – Oklahoma had its first archery season (1 day) on November 11, 1946, in seven southeast counties. No deer were harvested.

1949 – Special Archery season (five days) is designated only at Camp Gruber, resulting in the first buck taken by bow and arrow during a regulated season. The deer, taken by Roland Barber, is the state’s first archery buck and was a fallow deer. It was part of Camp Gruber’s small herd that had been established in the area during the late 1930s.

Photo (left): Roland Barber harvests the first deer taken with a bow and arrow in Oklahoma. The 120-pound fallow buck was harvested November 2, 1949, at Camp Gruber.

1951 – First whitetail deer taken by bow and arrow during a regulated season since the days that Native Americans hunted deer for subsistence is harvested by Larry Embry, Jr.,13. The deer was harvested at Camp Gruber.

Photo: Larry Embry Jr harvested the first whitetail at Camp Gruber on November 11, 1951, with a bow.

The Daily Oklahoma November 13, 1951, has the full story.

1954 – First statewide gun deer season (5 days) results in a harvest of 1,487 bucks.

1969 – First primitive firearms season (three days) is held, resulting in two deer harvested. Hunt is restricted to part of LeFlore County.

1970 – Statewide 16-day deer gun season. The total harvest of 6,882 bucks.

1972 –Nine-day deer gun season with all open counties and special two-day antlerless season. Total harvest 7,670 deer.

1975 – Cy Curtis Awards Program initiated by the Department to recognize trophy deer (harvested during the 1972 season and thereafter). For eligibility, whitetail deer must have a minimum typical score of 135 or a non-typical minimum of 150 using the Boone & Crockett scoring system. In the first year, only seven deer are entered. The program is named in honor of the man most responsible for the restoration of whitetail deer in Oklahoma.

1976 – Department begins broadscale antlerless harvest in 19 counties by issuing antlerless permits by special drawing. Total harvest 11,548 – 26 percent does.

1982 – Antlerless permit system deemed unpopular due to perceived inequities, and replaced by antlerless days available to all hunters. Total harvest 19, 255 – 23 percent does.

1986 –The Department ceases any further trap and transplant efforts with sufficient populations of deer available to repopulate all suitable habitats statewide.

1990 – Statewide deer population estimated at 250,000 deer. Total harvest 44,070 deer – 24 percent does.

1992 – Total harvest tops 50,000. Much to the surprise of many, a new state record buck is taken by an archer in Oklahoma County (Chris Foutz took the buck, which measured 179 6/8 typical score), proving that quality deer can come from just about anywhere in Oklahoma even the state’s most urbanized county.

Photo (left): Chris Foutz with 179 6/8 scored deer harvested with a bow in Oklahoma County on December 23, 1992.

1999 – Statewide deer population estimated at 425,000 deer. Total harvest yields 82,500 deer – 36 percent does.

2000 – Deer population levels spawn a multitude of stakeholder desires and management possibilities. For the first time, deer harvest numbers top 100,000.

2001 - First Special Antlerless season is held in December and expanded deer archery season in January.

2003 - First statewide youth antlerless deer gun season is held in October and yields 2,285 deer.

2004 - Statewide deer population estimated at 475,000 deer. Bowhunters set a new harvest record with 14,639 deer taken. Statewide harvest is 94,689 - 40% does.

2005 - Statewide harvest is 101,111 including 40% does. The number of counties that recorded more than 1,000 deer harvested increased to 43.

2006- Hunting regulations remain unchanged from 2005.

2007 – Not one, but two tremendous whitetail bucks are harvested from Pushmataha County during the deer gun season one by John Ehmer that scored an impressive 194 typical, and one by Jason Boyett that scored 192 5/8 typical. Boyett takes his buck on Nov. 18, surpassing the previous state record that had held the top spot for an entire decade (see Larry Luman photo below). Then just 10 days later, on Nov. 28, Ehmer takes his outstanding buck from the same county. By now, a total of 4,500 deer (including 19 mule deer entries) have been entered into the Cy Curtis Program.


2013- Physical deer check stations are replaced with an electronic check-in system, called E-Check. The Wildlife Department initiates the "Hunters in the Know Let Young Bucks Grow" campaign.

2014- Hunters are able to submit photos of their deer jaws, and have their deer aged by Wildlife Department biologists.

2015- marked the participation record for archery hunters for the third year in a row.


موقع التواصل الاجتماعي الفيسبوك

Anyone who has stood on or driven along Ocean Springs' Beach or East Biloxi's Highway 90 has glanced or looked at Deer Island. They may have even wondered about this deserted island and its past history. The western and eastern tips are wind swept sand where mainly sea oats, grasses, and various small plants grow. The eastern and southeastern areas are mostly salt-water marshes with stands of pine trees sprinkled throughout. There are several bayous or inlets, some being large enough for a skiff to enter. The western and northern areas are covered with stands of pine trees and some oak trees. Through the years hurricanes have taken their toll by eroding portions of the southern shores and in 1985 Elena cut out a section of the western end.

Deer Island was occupied and used as hunting ground as early as 8,000 B.C. Artifacts from the four major periods of Native American history have been found on Deer Island. Those periods are Paleo Indian, Archaic, Woodland, and Mississippian Periods. During the Mississippian Period 1,000 A.D. to 1700 A.D. Native American artifacts indicate some early and late occupation but the largest occupation occurs from about 1200 A.D. to 1550 A.D. This corresponds with two Mississippian sites on the Biloxi peninsula. One site was on the east end of the southern shore and the other on the northern shore of the peninsula. The only thing that remains today is the artifacts and shell midden. Shell middens are areas where Native Americans discarded their refuse and other items. Some portions of the Native American sites on Deer Island are underwater due to eroding shorelines. Unfortunately those that are not underwater, pothunters and others have ravished for years. Pothunters are individuals looking for whole clay vessels. They dig the site up looking for these vessels but during the process they destroy the site and artifacts. They never record or report what they find because they know what they are doing is wrong and against the law.

The 1699 arrival of the French ushered in a new period along the Mississippi Gulf Coast and Deer Island. The French explored the whole Gulf Coast but it was not until 1717 that any indication of Deer Island being occupied. The Commissary M. Hubert petitions the French Ministry of the Colonies to grant him the concession, land grant, of Deer Island to raise rabbits. Later he withdraws his petition after learning that another inhabitant already has the Deer Island concession. Unfortunately he does not name the person who has the Deer Island concession. On November 2, 1738 M. Louboey, Governor of Louisiana, writes about Deer Island in a letter to M. Maurepas, Minister of the Colonies. He indicates that the small nation know as the Capinans have abandoned its village on the Pascagoula River and retired to Deer Island. The Capinans were a small tribe connected with the Biloxi and Pascagoula tribes. Their villages were located on the Pascagoula River when the French first arrived.

Records dated 1746 indicated that a cattle ranch is being operated on Deer Island by a settler who owns and operates a shallop (ship) of sixty tons. During the 1790s a Pierre La Fontaine, a ship owner from Deer Island has been paying tolls to enter St. John Bayou in Louisiana. It would appear that Pierre and the early settler may be one and the same.

On the twenty first of April 1798 fourteen persons on Deer Island were confirmed by the Bishop Francisco Penalver y Cardenas of the Diocese of New Orleans. Among the confirmed was 100-year-old Louis Christian Ladner as well as other Ladners, Cueves, Carquottes and other early gulf coast settlers. Between 1840 and 1850 Father Gerin, a Catholic priest from Biloxi, would visit Deer Island about once a month.

The Harrison County 1850 census lists 11 people living on Deer Island. These 11 consist of three families and one single person. Albertus King Aken 30 was listed as a farmer and being from New Jersey his wife Jane 26, Bay St. Louis their son Joseph 9, and Mr. Aken's sister Laura Aken 19. Mr. Aken at one time was lighthouse keeper at Cat Island. About 1865, Mr. Aken began harvesting the sap from the pine trees and set up a still from the manufacturing of turpentine. In 1917 L. Lopez Company, per an agreement with Mr. Aken, set the first shells for an oyster reef in the waters off Deer Island.

Joseph Field Aken, who grew up on Deer Island, would marry Harriet Waters of Horn Island during the Civil War. Harriet was born on September 18, 1839 in Pascagoula and raised on Horn Island where she first married Peter Baker on December 28, 1852 at the age of thirteen. Peter and Harriet struggled to make a living on Horn Island. Confederate and Union soldiers took cattle from the family. Final Harriet and her children left Peter who she later divorced. Harriet, in later years would be known as Grandma Aken along the Gulf Coast. On Deer Island she helped Joseph run the turpentine business and the oyster reefs. They lived by hunting, crabbing, fishing, oystering, as well as what could be raised on the island. Joseph died July 13, 1913, leaving Harriet to carry on and raise 17 children. Grandma Aken would also raise and give a home to 25 boys and a girl Rhoda Louise Williams. She continued to hunt and harvest oysters late in life. Even when she became almost blind she would not let that slow her down. She would set on her porch and knit fishing nets for the family.

In her young days it was said that she could handle a gun as well as any man.
She was considered an excellent hunter, swimmer, and she had walked every inch of Deer Island. During her active years she would row a skiff from the island to various locations on the main land.

Grandma Aken had reached her hundredth birthday in 1939. Friends and family journeyed to Deer Island with gifts and cakes for the happy occasion. Though she had been ill Grandma Aken sat in her large armchair and in her natural agreeable manner received her guests. Boats were secured for the occasion and guests were ferried to and from Deer Island. Rev. E.A. Demiller, rector of the Church of the Redeemer, conducted religious services on the island. In addition to Mrs. Aken’s birthday, her great granddaughter who was born the same day, Mary Jane Hall’s birthday was also celebrated.

Six months later Grandma Aken would die on Deer Island. The seawall was crowded with friends as her coffin was carried on the Sea Queen from Deer Island to Oak Street pier. She was interred at the Old Biloxi Cemetery, thus closing another chapter on Deer Island.

Grandma Aken was one of the most beloved and enduring individuals on Deer Island. Yet, one of the most interesting characters was The Hermit of Deer Island. Jean Guilhot, a Frenchman, who had operated a citrus grove in the Bahamas and a turtle soup cannery in Florida. He arrived in Biloxi in 1921at 46 years of age and began working as a barber. He met and married a widow, Pauline Lemiene, who with her son Elmer had a house on Deer Island. Elmer would later marry Rhoda Louise William, the adopted daughter of Grandma Aken, and have two children Elmer and Elaine who were born on Deer Island. On Deer Island he gave up being a barber and became an oyster fisherman. A few years later his wife died, but Guilhot continued to live on Deer Island and make his living by tonging oysters. During the 1947 Hurricane Guihot climbed a tree and weathered the wind and water. The storm flooded the island and destroyed his home but he built a new shack from driftwood. By this time his skin was like leather from the sun and saltwater. He lived on a diet of cheese, fruit, and various seafood but refused to eat meat.

In early 1950, Louis Gorenflo, captain of the tour boat Sailfish offered to pickup and deliver groceries to Guilhot. On a small pine sapling 75 feet from shore, Guilhot would place his grocery list and Gorenflo would retrieve the list and on the next visit return the groceries. At first Guilhot would only retrieve the groceries after the Sailfish departed. Gradually, he began to row out and meet the Sailfish. Later he would sing songs in French and English for the tourists. The tourists would take his picture and throw coins in to Guilhot's boat. On May 27, 1959, Guilhot died in his sleep at the age of 82. One account of his passing implies that it occurred on Deer Island. His family attests that he died at the residence of his stepson Elmer Lemien on Tucker Road in the St Martin community. According to the Bradford O’Keefe funeral records Jean Guilhot died at Latimer Route 2 Jackson County. Jean Guilhot’s death closed another chapter of history on Deer Island. The Hermit of Deer Island lives now only in the memories of those who knew and saw him.

One of the most interesting and short-lived developments on Deer Island occurred in June of 1915. The Deer Island Improvement Company purchased property from Grandma Aken and opened an amusement park. The park was equipped with dance pavilion 60 x 100 feet and featured a huge bath house with a roof complete with a garden and refreshments, fishing, row boat rentals, carnival rides, penny arcade, and daily concerts. Visitors were transported by a ferry system to and from Deer Island by way of the Lameuse Street pier. The company also sold property for cottages and camps, which in no time began to appear. The venture was a huge success but that fall the 1915 Hurricane hit the coast and wiped out the amusement park, several cottages, and summer camps. The investors never recovered and in 1917 the property was returned to Grandma Aken and her heirs.

After Grandma Aken’s death many of her decedents continued to live on Deer Island. From her first marriage to Peter Baker, a native of Arandahl, Norway, their children Frank Ben, Joseph, and Hannah Olena grew up on Deer Island. Baker Family history indicates that Peter Baker’s last name was originally Olsen but he changed it to Baker. From Grandma Aken’s marriage to Joseph Aken their 5 daughters Ella 1871, Nora 1873, Margaret 1875, Cora 1879, and Julia 1881were born and grew up on Deer Island.

Joseph Baker would marry Madeline Gelineo and move to Biloxi. He would be a carpenter by trade. Their children were George and Edward who lived in Biloxi and Marion who lived in New Orleans, Mrs. Henry Lechner and Mrs. Holly Ford of Biloxi. Joseph died on July 16, 1956 in Biloxi.

Frank Ben Baker was born on Deer Island July 6, 1869 and married Dorothy Ryan. Frank and Dorothy would live with their children on Deer Island. Their sons Ralph and Arthur would continue to live on Deer Island. Their daughters Vera would marry Fred Lusk and Dorothy would marry Elbert Meaut and move to Biloxi. Frank died on December 3, 1947 on Deer Island.

Hannah Olena Baker married James Wentzell and they had two children, J.W. Wentzell and Charles Wentzell. Ella Aken would marry William Thompson on June 29, 1892 and have one child named Ada and would make their home on Deer Island. Nora married Charles McCaleb on September 24, 1890 and lived in Biloxi. Margaret married Harry Edwards on March 1, 1893 and moved to New Orleans. Cora Aken would marry on November 12, 1893 in Biloxi to Thomas Kneale from New Orleans. They had seven children before she divorced Thomas. She never remarried but ran Kneale Grocery at 414 Nixon. She died February 6, 1943 in Biloxi. Julia Aken would marry Armond Rousseau and live in Biloxi.

One individual who purchased property from the Deer Island Improvement Company was Joseph Fortune Meyer. Some readers will recognize Joseph Meyer’s name from the art world. Joseph Meyer was born in France the son of Francois Antoine Meyer and Jeanne Francoise Bebin. The family moved to America and took up residence in Biloxi before the Civil War. Francois Meyer was a potter whose business and home was on Biloxi’s Back Bay. Francois would teach his son Joseph the pottery trade. Joseph Meyer would become friends with another Biloxian by the name of George E. Ohr. After the Civil War, the Meyer family relocated to New Orleans where Joseph operated a pottery. It would be in New Orleans that young George Ohr would be taught by Joseph Meyer the pottery trade. Both Joseph Meyer and George Ohr were hired by Newcomb College to instruct pottery classes at the Newcomb Art School. Today both men’s works of pottery are considered extraordinary art ware.

After Joseph purchased the Deer Island property he continued to live in New Orleans. His Deer Island home became a resort to escape the city life and enjoy the quietness. In a letter dated May 20, 1920 written to his daughter Norma, Joseph describes a visit to Deer Island. On May 16, Joseph indicates that his wife, Charles Wolfarth from Biloxi, and himself went to Deer Island. They found the weather cloudy and very windy. Joseph had written to Frank Ben Baker to meet them at Oak Street but upon arrival Mr. Baker had not shown up. Joseph thought the rough weather may have been the reason so attempts were made to signal to Mr. Baker from Riley’s wharf and then from Johnson’s Fish and Oyster wharf, but to no avail. Mr. Raley proposed to bring them over. Joseph indicated that the crossing was very rough. Upon their arrival they were greeted by Frank’s wife Dorothy Baker. She indicated that Frank Baker had gone across with son Arthur to secure Mr. Hewes’ boat that had broken loose and was a drift. After their visit the return to Biloxi was also affected by a terrific squall. They tried to signal someone to come and get them but it was too misty. During a lull Joseph convinced Mr. Sidney Reynolds to take advantage of the lull to return them to the mainland. Due to the squall some schooners had taken shelter between Deer Island and the mainland. When they reach a point about 300 feet off the anchored schooners the wind began to blow again from the east and just as they touched the wharf the rain fell in sheets. Joseph indicated that before to long they were perfectly drenched.

In another letter Joseph describe the serenity of the Island. Until his death on March 16, 1931 Joseph continued to visit Deer Island on regular bases. The Baker family would refer to Joseph Meyer very affectionately as Uncle Joe. Like Grandma Aken and The Hermit of Deer Island Joseph Meyer would also leave his mark of society.

Frank Ben and Dorothy Baker’s descendants continued to live on Deer Island. One son Ralph eventually moved from Deer Island to Biloxi. Of their two daughters, Vera married Fred Lusk and Dorothy married Elbert Meaut, and both moved to Biloxi. Their son Arthur would continue to live on Deer Island. While Arthur was a young man, Joseph “Uncle Joe” Meyer had introduce him to his future wife, Eva Walther of New Orleans. Arthur and Eva married and had six children: Arthur, Frank, Donald, Alvin, Ronald, and Fred. They raised their six boys on Deer Island. When their son Ronald married Velma Demet, they made their home on Deer Island. Three of Ronald and Velma’s six children David, Larry, and Cynthia, would begin their lives on Deer Island.

The Aken and Baker families had lived on Deer Island for six generations. What one has to realize is that Deer Island was continually occupied from the 1700s to 1969. During the 1800s to early 1900s, life on Deer Island would be view as a typical way of life for the times. Yet with the advent of electrical power to homes all along our coast, there began a change and a new way of life. On Deer Island life continued the same as before electric with the exception of a 32 volt system of lights generated by storage batteries. Of course, one would turn the light on, take care of business, and then turn the light off. By the mid 1950s, the Baker family added a gasoline generator to power the lights and other appliances. Free flowing artesian water was fed from the well to a gravity tank to furnish the family’s water needs. Weekly, the Family would secure grocery items from Esse Gonsoulin’s Grocery & Market located at 1101 East Beach. One of the interesting facts about the Baker family was that the children attended the Biloxi Public Schools by taking a boat to Oak Street in Biloxi in the morning and back in the afternoon.

The Baker family lived on Deer Island until the events of August 1969. Hurricane Camille had entered the Gulf of Mexico and was threatening Mississippi and Louisiana. On Sunday morning August 17, Arthur and Eva Baker gathered their family and left their home unaware that it would be the last time. That evening Camille came ashore as a category 5 storm causing unbelievable destruction. After Camille the Baker family would live on two boats tied to the Baker Pier on Deer Island for 3 months. The two boats were the Doris Mae and the Progress. The family finally left Deer Island the first week of November and moved to Biloxi. This ended a long line of Bakers, and Aken family members who had lived their lives on Deer Island. Even though the Baker family still owns three sections of Deer Island, no one has officially lived on Deer Island since 1969. Yet to the Baker and Aken family decedents Deer Island has remained a place for family socials and their play ground.

We have discussed Deer Island early Native American history, its colonial
history and some of its most enduring individuals. We have yet to touch on
the legends and tales that embraced Deer Island, our coast, and our culture.
There has been numerous tales of pirates and of gold being buried on the
barrier islands. One of the most interesting stories appeared in the Biloxi
Herald on April 1, 1902. It seems that an elderly Biloxian, who was not
identified by the paper, told this story to the editor. In 1859 an elderly
gentlemen by the name of Senor Cardenas was a passenger on the steamboat
Creole that was headed to Biloxi. When he became ill Captain Charles
Walker asked the Biloxian to care for Senor Cardenas. The Biloxian stayed in
the cabin with Senor Cardenas and cared for him but Senor Cardenas died
during passage. Per Senor Cardenas request, Captain Walker handed the
Biloxian a sealed letter and a note. In the note Senor Cardenas asked the
Biloxian to have his remains shipped to New Orleans and to keep the sealed
letter until someone called for it.

On February 17, 1902 (some 43 years later) Senor Cardenas son appeared at the Biloxian's door. After receiving and reading the letter Don Cardenas asked the Biloxian if a tree grew in Biloxi with a ring created by nature in its limbs. The Biloxian says yes and took him to location of the oak refereed to as the Ring in the Oak. Don Cardenas climbed the tree and took his bearings off the ring to a location on Deer Island. The Biloxian and Don Cardenas rowed over to Deer Island and using the instructions in the letter dug up a metal box and two old swords. According to the story the box contained gold coins of Spanish origin. The Biloxian received a handsome reward and Don Cardenas returned to New Orleans. The article indicated if you don't believe the story go to J. B. Lemon's drug store in Biloxi and look at the sword and old coins he had placed there. One interesting note is that the Cardenas mentioned here spell their names the same as Bishop Cardenas who confirmed the families on Deer Island in 1798.

The stories of ghost, pirates, civil war, storms, and other legends have haunted Deer Island for centuries. Several proposed developments have occurred from the 1950s to the present, but Deer Island has weathered all of them. Just like the aftermath of a hurricane, Deer Island is a little battered but it seems to restores itself in time. It may be that Grandma Aken and The Hermit of Deer Island taught us a lesson that must be read from in-between-the-lines. That is, it may be better to conform to Deer Island and the life it offers instead of trying to conform Deer Island to us. The State of Mississippi recently purchased a large section of Deer Island with exception to the western sections owned by Baker family descendents. Only time will tell what will become of Deer Island, thus closing another chapter in Mississippi Coast History.

The Biloxi Herald, April 1, 1902
The Biloxi Herald, February 22, 1896 page 8 columns 1, Peter Baker
The Biloxi Herald, Saturday July 12, 1913, Joseph Aken, Old Biloxian Dead
The Biloxi Herald, September 18, 1939, Grandma Aken turn 100 years, page 9
Times Picayune, March 22, 1940 Harriet Aken 100 dies, page 1
The Biloxi Herald, March 24, 1940, Deer Island Resident Today Celebrates Century of Life Grandma Aken death
The Daily Herald, January 4, 1928, Page 10, Column 4, Joseph Meyer Lived in Biloxi
A History of Mississippi, edited by Richard Aubrey McLemore, Volume One
Mississippi Provincial Archives French Domination by Rowland, Sanders, and Galloway
Joseph Meyers Letters, Ohr/O’Keefe Museum of Art collection.
Stevens Collection located in the Historical & Genealogical Section of the Biloxi Library
Oral Baker Family History from conversations with Alvin Baker, Arthur Baker, and Cynthia Baker Powell.
Lemein Family History conversation with Mrs. Elaine Lemein Rolls
Aken Family History from emails with Elaine Kneale Knafla.


هل كنت تعلم؟

  • In 2019, 164,939 youth participated in the Seedlings for Schools program, an increase of 4,663 children.
  • 67 schools across the Commonwealth benefitted from a new Pollinator Garden program that teaches youth about pollinating insects and the value of creating a habitat for them.
  • The PA Game Commission’s Howard Nursery administers the Seedlings for School program and Wildlife for Everyone helps subsidize this free program for students.

© 2006 - 2021 Wildlife for Everyone All rights reserved.
Wildlife for Everyone, 341 Science Park Rd., Suite 103, State College, PA 16803-2287
(814) 238-8138 [email protected]

Design Copyright 2006 - 2021 Blue Banana Designs
Web site designed, developed, and hosted by
Blue Banana Designs - Web Site Design, Web Site Hosting, E-commerce


How did the white deer herd at the former Seneca Army Depot get started and why has it lasted?

The white deer at the former Seneca Army Depot in Romulus have been protected since the late 1940s by the fence that has surrounded the depot. They now number about 200.

(Stephen D. Cannerelli [email protected])

Romulus, N.Y. -- How did white, white-tailed deer at the former Seneca Army Depot get there and why has the herd lasted so long?

The depot, which was hurriedly built back in 1941 as World War II loomed, was fenced in for security reasons. And within that 24 miles of fenced in land were several dozen, regular brown-colored white-tailed deer and numerous other wildlife.

The history of the white deer herd at the depot, the world's largest, traces its roots back to 1949, when the depot's commander, Col. Franklin Kemble, was first alerted of their presence and gave orders not to shoot them.

Kemble told his men, "'If any of you guys shoot them, you're on the next plane to Greenland," said Dennis Money, president of Seneca White Deer and a retired project environmental analyst who worked at Rochester Gas and Electric.

The white deer were not albinos, which have pink eyes. These deer simply carried a recessive gene for white hair. They had brown or gray eyes.

The white ones lived and interbred with the brown deer. The combined, protected herd continued to grow and by the mid-1950s numbered more than 2,000. Two tough winters, though, resulted in a number of them starving.

The military teamed up with the state Department of Environmental Conservation and devised a plan to keep the herd healthy and genetically solid, Money said. They started offering nearly two weeks of hunting each fall, attended by past and current military personnel, along with (now former) civilian employees at the depot. The depot staff also planted food plots and mowed the grass in certain sections to encourage the growth of plants that the deer savor.

At first only brown deer could be shot, but in time the white deer were numerous enough to be included. Currently, the numbers of hunters are restricted to about a little more than three dozen a day and they have to participate in a lottery to see who gets to shoot white ones, said Stephen Absolom, the depot's environmental coordinator and installation manager in a 2010 interview.


When I was a boy I learned about a tribe of natives (Lipan Apache) that had an initiation into manhood which involved plucking a hair from the tail of a live deer. These people had developed a mode of stealth that allowed them to walk right up to deer–head on–without the deer sensing their presence or noticing their advance. I adopted the technique for moving through the woods silently, but never to the point where I could stealthily touch a deer.

I'll skip the masking your scent and disguising your appearance parts and just give you the silent walking part.

First of all, you must have good balance, so take a semi-squat stance to lower you body weight. With each step, you will balance on one foot, while you test the ground ahead of you with the smallest toe of your other foot. You want to plant your foot where it isn't going to make any noise, first touch the ground with your small toe, using it to part the grass or move leaves, then gently rock onto your lateral arch down to your heel as you shift your weight onto your forward foot and flatten it out onto the ground, the last part of your foot to touch the ground is your big toe. Complete the step by transferring all your weight to your forward foot, then feel ahead with the other.

The deer touchers did this very slow, averaging about 80 seconds per step, in a breeze they could rock with the grass and branches and go about 60 seconds a step. The super slow speeds were so the deer wouldn't register them moving, even if they were staring straight in their direction.

When nothing's watching you you can move quickly through the woods stepping this way, just touch with your small toe first and ease into each step, when you get good you tend to glide more than you stride. The part to practice is making contact with the ground without making a crunch, it's easy to do on a path, but harder to do when moving through the bush.

As far as what clothes and shoes to wear: the deer touchers went barefoot and wore nothing but a loincloth and ash from a fire, but any soft soled shoe will work for foot wear, toeshoes would be the best. For clothing you don't want to wear anything synthetic, nylon and polyester make that whishing sound when you walk. Soft cotton or wool is best for moving silently, think ninja knickers, light and breathable.


شاهد الفيديو: الغزلان وأنواعها في الوطن العربي..